Everyone knows by now what is going on on the SE network. Topics and discussions are all over the place. Opinions vary. Pros and cons. Let me be clear from the beginning: This is not intended at pointing fingers or choosing one side of the coin. It's about more than that....
One of our strengths: as IPS users, with our very different backgrounds, POV and skills, we're used to deal with [ weird / awkward / controversial / sensible ] topics.
While the coin is still flipping in the air (if it's still...), we could maybe avoid the head or tail issue.
What about trying to get the coin fall on the edge?
I mean... Can we work together and come up with a solution that will straddle the fence1? Can we stop the pouring of gasoline on the fire that can be seen all around the network, on meta(s), on different stacks...? Some are "cheating" the system (i.e. here). We should not step in. Not for this kind of things. Not for/with this kind of arguments.
To be honest, I'm not a firefighter, and some of you may know me for being a WHOM2 that has learned (often the hard way) how to pick his battle. But there's worse than watching the fire! That's just watching the fire thinking it's too bad and sad, and doing nothing...
- I don't want to tell who's right or wrong, who started the fight.
- I'd rather collect all arguments and POVs. From both sides.
- I'd hear them and respect them, not judge them3.
- I'd love cooling things down.
- I'd love finding / offering a solution.
Can we team up once again, be the voice of reason, and help negotiate a solution?
... or is it an already lost battle?...
1. or is it more correct or accurate to say: play both ends against the middle? -> I'm not a native English speaking person, and even though I consider myself not too bad at writing it, I miss some words / common expressions sometimes :)
2. White Heterosexual Old Man :D
3. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall (The Friends of Voltaire - 1906 - under the pseudonym of S. G. Tallentyre)
Related links about what's going on (for those who don't know yet):
Clarification (thanks to @JAD for pointing out): the storm started because of 3 (un)related topics:
- gender identity and pronouns / "new" CoC (?)
- treatment of Monica Cellio
- general trust/opinion on SE Inc.'s recent policies
These 3 problems are easily conflated and confused, since they were triggered at the same time and caused each other. I think the distinction is very relevant.
UPDATE (2019/10/05): what I was thinking of has been offered. I then don't see any more need for this post (the one you're reading right now). Especially because I think your ideas and arguments, shared below, are more than enough for me to make my mind up.
Thanks to y'all :)